May 6, 2011
Events Leading up to ICFF 2011
Your ultimate ICFF 2011 events calendar and party guide.
THURSDAY, MAY 12
Sam Baron and Fair Folks & a Goat
Room for Two: An Urban Tale of Nature and the Baroque
7 E. 88th St., (646) 596-8354
A Manhattan mansion room decked out to elevate the senses; in collaboration with graphic designer Catarina Carrieras.
Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum
2 E. 91st St., (212) 849.8349
Music and cocktails in the garden, plus exhibitions on view.
General admission $15.
38 Renwick St., (212) 741-2102
Party to launch a furniture line designed by Christine Miele and Valerie Guariglia in collaboration with skilled crafts artisans.
ABC Carpet & Home
Talk with Todd Bracher about Truth in Design
888 Broadway, (212) 473-3000
Designer Todd Bracher discusses “truth” in design with Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan, co-founder & CEO of Apartment Therapy.
FRIDAY, MAY 13
5:30 pm – 8pm
New Finnish Design SCENARIOS Pecha Kucha
In connection with the SCENARIOS showcase of Finnish Design, the SCENARIOS Pecha Kucha will consist of short presentations about the infinite themes of design and scenarios. Presenters from both the American and Finnish design communities will discuss their work, exchange ideas and network. Each presenter will have only 20 slides (with 20 seconds per slide) for their presentation. Presenters include (in no particular order):
* Allan Chochinov, Editor-in-Chief at Core77
* Kyle Cameron Studstill and Piers Fawkes, PSFK
* Sam Grawe, Editor-in-Chief of Dwell magazine
* James Hunt, Associate Professor of Transdisciplinary Design, School of Design Strategies at Parsons the New School for Design
* Andrea Lipps, Curatorial Assistant, Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum
* Teemu Suviala, Founder of Kokoro & Moi, Helsinki-based multidisciplinary design consultancy
* Outi Martikainen, Textile artist and Finnish designer participating in SCENARIOS
* Anna Ahonen and Katariina Lamberg, Founders of Paris-based design studio Ahonen & Lamberg
* Kimberly Oliver, Associate Director at design communications agency Camron PR
* John Dunnigan, Professor, Department of Furniture Design at Rhode Island School of Design
72 Gansevoort St.
Ddc flagship party
136 Madison Ave.
Celebrating the new collection, plus an installation by Jens Ahlemeyer.
105 Madison Ave.
Party and special look at the Blue Moon and Sundeck pools.
Johnson Trading Gallery
Rafael de Cárdenas Exhibition
490 Greenwich St.
Party for architect/designer Rafael de Cárdenas’s first furniture collection, inspired by Bruce Goff and Frank Lloyd Wright.
Museum of Arts & Design
Stephen Burks: Are You A Hybrid?
2 Columbus Circle
RSVP: [email protected]
Opening party for Stephen Burks’s first curatorial project, with his work plus that of more than 30 other designers and artists. Admission limited to members (individual membership is $75), or purchase a ticket to MAD’s Young Patrons Fluorescent Ball on Monday, May 16, and receive a free invitation to the Burks party (ball tickets $150 with ICFF pass; see p. 70).
Nemo Tile Celebrates ICFF
48 E. 21st St.
RSVP required: [email protected]
Join Nemo Tile in their showroom to celebrate ICFF.
Suite New York
419 Park Ave. S., 17th fl.
Party to celebrate new work from Carl Hansen, DePadova, and more.
Harry Allen Design
Black River Fever
207 Ave. A, (212) 529-7239
The U.S. launch of work by Harry Allen and Brunno Jahara for Brazilian manufacturers Vialight and NDT Brazil.
7–9 p.m., invite only
Norwegian Consulate General
ICFF Kick-Off Party
Cocktails in the Snøhetta office space to celebrate ICFF and the Norwegian designers attending it.
VOOS at Wanted Design
La.Venue, 608 W. 28th St.
RSVP: [email protected]
Cocktails and hors d’oeuvres for an exhibition of work by designers from Brooklyn-based VOOS.