January 11, 2008
Hot links that caught our attention, just for you.
New buildings and new books, upcoming conferences and contest results, new artists and commentary on Starchitects…
Yes, the A&D Blogosphere had a lot to say this week. Fortunately, all that information is gathered here to catch you up in no time flat.
1. Downtown Detroit is getting a 150 million dollar facelift via the proposed Cadillac Center. Find out more at AmericaJR.
2. Ed Hatcher’s review of the new book Blue Universe: Architectural Projects by Christian Reder & Coop Himmelb(l)au starts with: “Books like these make me remember why I went into architecture.” Read the review.
3. Digital Urban has embarked on a trip to the International Conference on Virtual Geographic Environments at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Keep an eye on the blog, where they promise to cover the proceedings and demoed technologies.
4. 3-form has announced the winners of the 2nd annual People’s Choice Best Installation Contest. See all of the winners, honorable mentions, and submitted projects right now at 3-form.com.
5. Get to know Ian Wright, artist and user of many materials, and check out some of his latest work at The Cool Hunter.
6. With the recent announcement of Norman Foster’s Crystal Island, it appears that the sheer scale of architecture still knows no bounds. Alex Steffen talks about the importance of size and adaptability in relation to Starchitects at World Changing.